Fireworks Bitmap Tools
Marquee and Oval Tools
These tools allow you to create a selection. Then you can apply things to that selection.
With this tool you are able to make a free hand selection.
This will select areas automatically based on pixel colors
Pencil and Paint Brush
Use the ALT key to select sample point. Then apply.
When you have made a selection, you can then use the Magic Wand tool to add to this by holding down the Shift Key. You can also use the Lasso tool to add selections. Alternativly hold down the ALT key to remove selections. To smooth out your selection then set smooth out to 2 in Select/Smooth Marque.
To convert the selection to a vector Select ”Convert Marque to Path”
To save the bitmap selection Select “Save Bitmap selection”. To recall the selection Select “Restore Bitmap Selection”.
When editing a Photo its wise to create a new layer for the drawing so as not to loose the original copy.
Replace Colour Tool
First set up the properties for it to either replace an image or swatch selection to a swatch. This tool is great for changing out colors.
Select your image and then Filters/Levels. The adjustemts will be applied to the whole image. If you want to apply to only an area then first select the area using the Wand or Lasso tool. Then from the upper menu select Filter/Adjust Colors/Levels. In this area you can also blur.
Masking one Image on Another
This method allows you to let a bottom image show through into a top image. It uses a black/white mask to represent opaque/transparent areas. Normally a Black/White gradient is used as the mask to create a fade in/out of the lower photo.
- Create two layers with a photo on each. The top image will be the mask. Meaning the black areas of this photo will allow the lower photo to show through.
- Select both photo’s
- From top menu select Modify/Mask/Group as Mask.
Creating bitmap masks with a Montage
- Put a backgrounf photo on your background layer.
- Put another Photo on a layer above.
- Repeat (2) for other montage images.
- Select each photo in turn and select the area you want viewable. Then click on “Add Mask” in the layers panel. The photo will now crop to the selection.
- Repeat for all images in montage.
- Select all photos and apply border effects using Filters/Photoshop Live Effects in the properties panel.
- Individually select and position each photo for your montage layout.
- Remember you can still select what you see of each photo by selecting it and dragging the mask centre point.
How to Convert Bitmaps to Vectors
- Use the Magic Wand tool to select an area. Adjust the tolerance to improve the selection. Use Shift and Alt to either Add or Remove to the selection.
- The Lasso tool can also be used in the same way to add and remove to the selection.
- You can save the selection using Select/Save Bitmap Selection.
- You can convert the selection to a Vector using Select/Convert Marquee to Path.